Thursday, July 21, 2005

Strange tour pairings

In keeping with a tour theme, I decided to bring up the topic of odd tour pairings. I have never been to a show where I thought the acts were an odd pairing, but I have heard of some and maybe you have as well. The first one that comes to mind is when Iron Maiden were an opener during the Number of the beast tour in 1982. Now they opened for Judas Priest which is a good match, they opened for Rainbow which is a little different but close enough, but the other band they opened for was 38 Special. Now try to imagine you are a 38 Special fan and you go to see them and a British metal band dressed in black leather comes out singing about the Number of the beast, an odd pairing for sure. One that's more recent was when the Ramones and Motley Crue toured together in what like 94 or 95, it was when John Corabi was with the Crue. I guess the Crue thought this would make them look cooler, but I can't imagine what the Ramones thought. Then again they had been touring for almost 20 years by that point so they may have thought nothing of it. Another mid-90's tour was Morbid Angel, Motorhead and Black Sabbath. Now Motorhead and Black Sabbath (actually just Tony Iommi and a backing band at this point) fit together. Lemmy was probably used to a lot of speed metal stuff so Morbid Angel probably were not shocking to him. However, I wonder if Tony Iommi was in his dressing room while Morbid Angel were playing and maybe he heard some of their set. I can almost imagine him going "Good lord, I hope nobody tries to blame Sabbath for influencing these guys!". Anyone else know of an odd tour pairing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home