Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Autumn and metal

Autumn and winter always seemed more like metal months to me. What exactly is a metal month? Well, I guess they are months where my interest in metal was greater and it's probably greater in these two seasons just due to the fact that I am inside more so I listen to more music. I was into metal in 1984, but I remember more about listening to music in the fall of 1985. I think I was getting an allowance at that time so I could buy a tape or album every month or so if I save a little. By 85, I was getting away from comic books, science fiction and video games. This was mainly due to my growing interest in metal and it was becoming my main interest by that year. I remember late summer/ fall because a number of albums were coming out or getting ready to come out. Kiss, Twisted Sister, WASP, DIO and Dokken were all due to release albums at that time. Some of those were good and some weren't but the anticipation of the releases was so big to me then because it was a very new experience. That feeling of getting a new album and getting ready to listen to wondering if it's going to be this great event that will change how you feel about music. Of course I know that those kind of albums are few and very far between, but still I had hope. Actually, Iron Maiden's Live after death may have been the best release from the fall of 1985. It's maybe surprising that a live album would be that good, but it certainly was. I remember the posters and displays all over the record stores when it came out. That's another point , that being posters and displays. Back then, going to the record store was an event because I didn't get to go to the big mall store very often. So when I did, it was a huge deal and I would stare at the posters in awe sometimes. Now I don't even glance at the posters unless they really catch my attention. Of course I don't go to the mall record stores any more either as I don't want to pay six or seven dollars more for a cd than I would at the independent stores. Back then, I don't think the mall stores charged more (in general) than the independent record stores as I remember the prices being about the same. I think that change came about (at least here) in the early 1990's.
Another good thing about Autumn back then was I got to start wearing my denim jacket with all the metal band buttons on it. I still have a denim jacket with metal band buttons and I wear it, but it has far less buttons then it once had. However, I own far more buttons then I did back, but that's almost a whole other topic in itself. I just think that music was so big in my life then that I still associate hearing albums with the season when I heard it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home