Thursday, June 22, 2006

My music history

A while back I was going through the archives over at fredcharles blog and he had a post about what bands he had been into at different times. So I decided to do one to let you know my musicial background. So here are the years and the bands I was most into during those times.

Early 80's to 1985-Hard rock, metal
AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Van Halen, KISS, WASP, Motley Crue, Ratt, Scorpions and Twisted Sister.

1986-1988-Speed Metal and Punk rock
Metal: Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, Overkill, Kreator, Destruction, Motorhead, Venom, Celtic Frost, Dark Angel and Testament.
Punk:Misfits, Exploited, GBH, Discharge, COC, DRI, Angry Samoans and Broken Bones.

1989-Classic hard rock and early glam
Rainbow, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Hendrix, Thin Lizzy, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, New York Dolls and Sweet

1990-1993-Glam, commercial metal
Hanoi Rocks, Faster Pussycat, Bang Tango, Cinderella, Skid Row, White Lion, Tigertailz and Extreme.

By 1994 the amount of new metal coming out had died down or changed. From that point on I was listening to all of the above bands and very few new bands.
The only things that have changed much since 1994 as far as music are these categories that I now like:

Guitar gods: Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughn
Surf: Ventures, Surfaris, Dick Dale, Bomboras and Satan's Pilgrims
Obscure early metal:Pentagram, Bang, Cactus, Captain Beyond and Sir Lord Baltimore
Stoner:Sleep, Electric Wizard, Fu Manchu, Witchcraft and Acid King

That pretty much brings me up to where I am today.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jay Noel said...

Actually, for a Metal blogger afficionado, you have a pretty wide range of music taste.

Great post!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Pixie said...

I was the opposite to you !
Early 80's 2-tone, SKA ,new wave
Mid 80's : new Romantice ( thats what the movement was named of all the bands like depeche Mode, Duran Duran etc.
90"S Britpop (Blur Oasis etc) with a bit of Nirvana thrown in.
Webpirate introduced me to Tool whom I love but some of his other stuff is a bit too much for me , he is a real grunge fan. Although he does have quite a bit of the classic HM rock in his music collection.

But I do like Sweet !

10:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think your broad range of tastes really proves you're a metal fan -- since it's the one type of music you're passionate enough to write about!

I'm slightly chagrined to realize that, in many ways, my musical tastes are still stuck in the 80s. I just love 80s music for some reason. Anything from the 80s; from punk to hip hop.

4:51 AM  
Blogger UnHoly Diver said...

I grew up in a very musical household. Plus, my father was a morning DJ(not the morning zoo type; a serious dj) for several years, so my musical tastes range far and wide. The more I got into music, though, the deeper I got into R & R; pretty much beginning with the British Invasion of the Beatles, the Stones, even the Dave Clark Five. As I grew older, I developed a fondness for heavier, guitar-driven music, and it has continued to this day.

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, great idea for a post (you took it from someone so I may take it from you!). I'd like to know what you were listening to prior to the 80's...oh wait, that would be me that was around in that era listening to Zeppelin 24/7 in the '70's with a little Bowie, Hendrix and Stones on the side :)

I had the honor of meeting Stevie Ray one night after he performed and believe me - it was an honor.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Phoenix-My range is certainly more than it was 15 years ago.

Pixie-I still listen to Sweet sometimes.

Curare Z-I listen to a lot 80's music as well because that was when I got into music so it has stuck with me.

Bruce-I wish my parents were more into rock music when I was growing up.

Bar-What I was listening to in the 70's was whatever my parents played. My father played country music if he played anything. My mother played CCR a lot, John Denver and a lot of classical music.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home