Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Skid Row, 1989

As 1989 began it seemed as though most of the commercial hard rock bands that were hitting it big were coming out that huge LA scene that had thriving for most of the decade. Yet a New Jersey band known for their raw energy and great live shows were signed to Atlantic records. The fact that Dave "Snake" Sabo was friends with one Jon Bon Jovi didn't hurt matter either. Skid Row has also recently brought in former Madam-X singer Sebastian Bach. I remember this album just kind of showing up without a lot of build-up and it had a simple cover with the band picture in black and white and the ragged red band logo smeared on the top portion of the cover as well. It didn't take long for the band to get radio airplay, get played on MTV and they locked up spots opening for Bon Jovi and Motley Crue. I liked the album a lot then and I think 1989 was a fairly good year for commercial hard rock ecspecially compared to 1988 which was a bit of a lame year for that style of music. Skid Row's debut divided it's time between solid rockers like "Youth gone wild", "Sweet little sister" and slower songs like "I remember you" and "18 and life". The band manages to do well at both kinds of songs. They certainly broke no new ground musicly, but they brought a lot of attitude and Sebastian Bach was a very good frontman. The bottle throwing incident only helped to strengthen their reputation and get them more attention. I think their image helped them a lot, other than Bach they were an ugly scruffy bunch who dressed more like fans than like performers . If they had come out of LA and had sparkly outfits and poofy hair then I am sure they would have made as great an impact despite the music being good. I think audiences were ready for and east coast band like this. I think it's not as sharp as I remember it being back then, but still good fun. Surprisingly enough this is my favorite album fo theirs. I say surprisingly because the next two lp's went in a heavier direction. Normally that would appeal to me, but I think Skid Row became more oridinary as they became heavier. This album still holds a certain appeal for me today and I was glad to find it in the bargain bin a few months ago as my tape had worn out.

10 Comments:

Blogger UnHoly Diver said...

I've always thought that Bach had one of the best voices in rock; just a notch or two below Geoff Tate. All the songs you mentioned pretty much bear that out, too, IMO.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there in the LA scene from about 1980 - 1990 and saw a lot of bands come up from the ranks...it was a fun time to be in this area!

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched a few episodes of that Super group show on VH1 and Bach seems to be a royal pain in the ass. He is really into the whole rock n roll thing though so I have to give him some credit.

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched a few episodes of that Super group show on VH1 and Bach seems to be a royal pain in the ass. He is really into the whole rock n roll thing though so I have to give him some credit.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Bruce-He has a good rock voice.

Barbara-I am sure it was a fun time. You must have some stories and you still owe us a David Lee Roth story I believe.

Fred-Yes, I always got the impression that he was a real fan of metal and I am not sure the same can be said about some of these guys that are in it for like 20 years. Sebastian brought Wolf Hoffman into his band because he liked Accept. He became friends with Dee Snider and played shows with Twisted Sister because he was a fan of theirs. He was recently opening dates for Guns and Roses in the UK while the band known as Skid Row are playing bars in cities I have never heard of.

7:51 AM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

Bach has a talented voice for sure. But I did not realize how damn goofy he is until seeing him in VH-1's 'Supergroup.'

8:52 AM  
Blogger On My Watch said...

I loved this one too...aside from the songs you mentioned I always liked "Here I Am" a lot as well.

12:19 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Bach does have an amazing voice, and this was a very fun album. I have to say that the first half of the follow-up album, however, is among the best hair metal ever made!

-- david

6:13 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

One of the best Skid Row moments is on their "B-Sides Ourselves EP" when Sebastian gets to sing "Screaming for Vengence" with one of his idols, Rob Halford. You can hear the awe in Seb's voice as he introduces him and sings with him.

Oh yes, and Skid Row's version of Rush's "What You're Doing" on that EP is very, very good.

-- david

6:15 PM  
Blogger Strutter71 said...

I love this album...Skid Row, in my opinion, was far superior to all the "hair metal" bands that were being played alongside them on MTV at the time. I actually liked "Slave To The Grind" even more.

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home