Thursday, October 19, 2006

Fuzz's post

First up is Fuzzbox who writes blugstuff.

When Metal Mark graciously accepted my offer to write a guest review on his site, I had to sit back for a moment and decide which group and album to review. Being from the State Of Texas, I knew that I must pick a Texas Band. Texas is proud of the musical talent that has contributed to various genre's. The logical choice for a metal site would have been Pantera but I have never constrained myself by choosing the most logical choice.

I wanted to review an album that gets down to the basics of blues and rock that gives metal it's background. Metal is more than a sound. It is an attitude. It is looking at the bullshit in life that gives us the blues and saying to hell with it. Metal at it's best is a Fuck you attitude at it's loudest. That is why I had to pick that little band from Texas, ZZ Top. I also wanted to go back to the earlier days of ZZ (pre-Eliminator). I wanted to pick an album that to me stood out as having both a hard edge of sound and attitude. That album for me is Tres Hombres.

Starting out with Waitin' For The Bus and Jesus Just Left Chicago, the band is just warming up. Firing up the speakers just like the initial spark of a Texas Barbecue grill. Then the band kicks in with their anthem to the rock and roll lifestyle, Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers. With the song Master of Sparks, the band displays a gritty feel of pure music. Possibly one of my favorite ZZ Top songs comes next, Hot Blue, and Righteous. It reminds me of sitting in a Blues Bar sucking down a cold beer and thinking of all the people that have gone from my life. Move Me On Down The Line shows the bands mastery of finding a great hook and rolling with it. With Precious and Grace, the little band from Texas shows how versatile a three man rock group can be. In La Grange, the boys create not just a great song but modern folk lore with a kick ass beat. I never have been a great fan of The Sheik but if every song on every album were great when would you have time to take a leak and get another can of refreshment. Have You Heard brings things to a close with more of that good ol' Texas blues.

Having listened to all of ZZ's albums countless times and seeing them live on numerous occasions, I am always amazed at the sheer volume of sound that this three man group can use to drive a crowd. Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill, and Frank Beard are more than just musicians. They are true Texas Hero's keeping alive the musical legacy of the blues. And in 1986 the Texas Senate bestowed that honor on them right along with the defenders of the Alamo.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

good post, man.... I did have to stop listening to classic rock radio before they ruined "Cheap Sunglasses" for me forever, but ZZ is a goodie...you guys have some good metal down there...Jacknife's one if you like metalcore, and there's always Dangerous Toys

10:02 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

oh, and Rigor Mortis

10:02 PM  
Blogger On My Watch said...

How could anyone not like them?

I especially liked your sentence, "firing up the speakers like the initial spark of a Texas barbecue grill." - - perfect description.

They are pure and simple. Makes me feel the need to play a game of pool, wearing dusty boots and a good fittin' pair of Levis. :)

Great post!

5:36 AM  
Blogger Will said...

"Everybody everywhere goes to whores, drinks beer, and drives fast" - Dusty Hill (1973)

Personally I prefer their early era down the line blues Rock of the 70's, and 'Tres Hombre' has got some of my favourite songs, particularly "Jesus Just Left Chicago", "Move Me On Down The Line", "Precious And Grace", and "la Grange".

Fuzz ? bein' as you're a Texan and all that, have you ever seen the subject matter of the song "Master Of Sparks" or worse still have you been a victim ?

5:39 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

you're not fuzz, there was no profanity :)

10:39 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I think that ZZ Top's pre-Eliminator albums are some of the least appreciated in modern rock history. That's some solid, straightforward blues rock.

-- david

6:48 AM  
Blogger DPTH International said...

Great post ZZ Top are great and have a great look as well. Their cameo in Back To The Future III was priceless too.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Thanks for guest posting, Fuzz. ZZ top combined a number of musical styles and they did it with ease. I am not sure that they always get credit for that.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home