Friday, May 30, 2008

Jaguar - Jag Wire

In the summer of 1985 there was a local radio show called "Friday Night Metal" and they played a solid hour of metal songs I think from midnight until one. They played popular stuff like Priest, Ozzy and Dio, but lesser know stuff like Exciter, Vyper and Grave Digger as well. One night they played a song by a band who I thought were called Jag Wire. Yes, that sounded funny, but that's what I swore the DJ said. Several months later at school I was talking to a slightly older metalhead at school. I mentioned this band Jag Wire and he informed me that I must have heard incorrectly and it must have been NWOBHM band Jaguar.
Photobucket

He also added that no one was stupid enough to call their band Jag Wire. Years later I found out that he was wrong.
Photobucket

Let's close in on Jag Wire
Photobucket

Well, Jaguar were from the UK and their debut Power Games was a pretty good album along the lines of Dianno era Maiden. Jag Wire were from LA and they sound like Angel. I'll let you decide which of those sounds you would prefer. Actually Jag Wire's story goes back a little more as they evolved from a band called Sin, but's that a story for another day.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have both on vinyl. That JAGUAR album is a classic of course and that JAG WIRE album is more obscure but still very good, with some great songs.

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have both albums too. The jaguar one autographed by the bandmembers. The bassplayer from jag wire played in an early incarnation of ratt. The guitarplayer made a very "black crows" like album with the band "flies on fire" and now composes music for videogames I believe.

2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home