Saturday, June 06, 2009

Oscape-The growing ground

Photobucket
Self-produced
2009

According to their Myspace page Oscape has been in the music scene for 18 years playing all around Tucson and the Southwest. Their list of influences varies from New Model Army to Slayer and includes several bands that would fall in between those two. Oscape remind me of Alice in Chains some and more their acoustic work. In fact Oscape remind me more of a early to mid-90's band if I were forced to pin them down. Right away I warmed up to the production on the E.P. as it's just the right blend of raw edginess and it's in your face when needed. They obvious care a great deal about the lyrics and the songs are set in a way that allows the listener to soak in the messages. The quickly fall into a groove on most of the songs and they certainly know their comfort zone. It was difficult to get a total sense of where this band was going from just six songs. That is also affected by the fact that two of the songs kind of roam around some. The music is tight and flows along fine. A few of the songs sound somewhat similar, but largely the band keep injecting enough ideas and movement into the songs. I found myself that this is a good start, but I would like to more. I also think they could benefit from taking a few more chances. There was enough here to like that I would certainly be interested in hearing what they could do with on a full length effort.

www.myspace.com/oscape

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home