Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Five things in metal that I am thankful for

Photobucket

I think this is the third or forth year I have done this. Five things in metal that I am thankful for this year in no real order.

Metal Mind Records-Okay, these guys have made my list every year and with great re-issues of albums from Satan, Maltese Falcon, Acid Drinkers, Turbo and more they easily make the list again.

UFO-Their label was going under, Pete Way was having health problems and this veteran band probably had other things going against them too. They still put out a fine album in "The Visitor". Always good to see a veteran band dig down like that.

Admiral Browning-I never would have thought a band from not far from my area would put out one of the best albums of 2009. This instrumental doom/stoner act have done just that.

Slayer-I still need to tie my ideas together and get a review out of World Painted Blood. Still I know it's good. While Slayer have never strayed far from the sound they set up in the 80's they have at least have been very consistent. Metallica went way off, Megadeth strayed for years and Anthrax disappeared and were not very relevant when they did reappear, but Slayer have remained as a solid, long running force and influence in metal.

Iron Maiden, Sam Dunn, Scot McFadyen and everyone involved with making Flight 666-We all know how great Maiden are, but this movie shows what this band means to fans across the globe. It shows the band as the fine musicians they are, but it also shows the work and effort that went in to making a tour of this magnitude work. Of course the live clips and interviews with the fans are fantastic. A great film all the way around.

So there you go. I still have a big turkey award for 2009 to give out at some point. As it stands right now the nominees are Rocklahoma 2009, Lita Ford and Wal-mart exclusives (sorry, didn't hear the newest Queensryche or else I am sure they would make this list).

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous cristine said...

nice post! rock n' roll! :)

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home