Friday, March 05, 2010

Hansel-Never say die

Photobucket
Pussycat
2010

When I heard Hansel's Mission to rock EP last yeat I was convinced they had talent, but wanted to hear what they could on a full length effort. Now is my chance as they come back even stronger than expected. These guys dress like a joke band, but they punch out some meaty 80's style hard rock. The style is similar to the EP with Van Halen and Bon Jovi being major influences. It is instantly noticeable that they have tightened up around the edges as the quality of their music has definitely gotten better. Also the production has a richer quality that really helps to bring all that they are doing to the surface. Many of the songs have the kind of choruses that you instantly take to. That was true on the EP and it's one of the real strengths of this band so it comes as no surprise that they continue to use that skill. If I was forced to use one word to describe this band it would be smooth because that is how their delivery comes across. The only real complaint I have is that the band's slower songs are all pushed in towards the end kind of limits the momentum they had going on. Still this is a great effort and there is no doubt that this band is getting better.


http://metalmark.blogspot.com/2009/02/hansel-mission-to-rock.html

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "slower" or "mellow" side of Hansel irritates me. Otherwise, I do agree they are a fine Hard Rockin' band. I just don't know why some bands feel the need to mess up that "momentum" like you touched on. Great point you made about it.

Stone

7:02 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Stone-I agree. I guess they like that whole late 80's early90's hard rock approach. Which is great to some extent, but they feel the need to include the mandatory sappy ballad or two.

4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home