Monday, October 17, 2011

Evil United-Evil United

MVD audio
2011


Having opened up the latest package of promos that Metal Mark was kind enough to send my way I just picked one at random to check out. Throwing it in my car's CD player I hit play and headed off for some mid-morning chores. Now while Mark had filled me in about Evil United before hand in all honesty I had so much on my mind that I forgot that the band featured former Watchtower/Dangerous Toys/Broken Teeth front-man Jason McMaster. Listening to the NWOBHM/traditional heavy metal inspired thrash blaring out of my stereo I found myself grinning from ear to ear. Not that it was anywhere near original or ground breaking mind you. No, it was just the feeling that here was a band playing hot damn heavy metal! Once home I picked up the paperwork that came with Evil United's CD and it was only then that I saw the Jason McMaster connection. Sure the voice sounded vaguely familar but lets face it when you've been exposed to loud music for well over 24 years like I have your ears are not quite what they used to be! The rest of Evil United is equally compelling what with Don Van Stavern (Riot, S.A. Slayer) on bass, Todd "Bird" Connally (PB/DC, Cult To Follow) and John "JV4" Valenzuela (PB/DC, Urial) on guitars and Shakes West (Neurotica, PB/DC, Sebastian Bach) on drums. Yes, I can hear what your asking. Isn't Jason McMaster already in a dozen plus other projects/tribute bands? Is this band really necessary? And my answer would be so what! Who cares if Jason plays in hundreds of bands. I'll take a real true blue heavy metal disc any day of the week over what passes for modern metal these days. Jason is admittedly a huge music fan having had his first exposure to rock in the form of Elton John, Kiss and Queen. In addition to being a good vocalist he also plays bass and has played in power metal bands, industrial, hard rock and everything in between. With Evil United you get a sinister vibe and people are right to pick up on the Merciful Fate/Slayer influences. Their there front and center for all to hear. That along with the already mentioned NWOBHM and traditional heavy metal influences make this a solid slab of fist pumping metal. It does have an underground feel to it so those expecting something bright and shiny should just stop where they are at. Same goes for those listeners who think that just because a band isn't 100% original then they shouldn't waste their time. Heavy metal is all about being part of a brotherhood. The loud and the proud as I always say. That in a nutshell is Evil United. Loud and proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home