Friday, October 21, 2011

Top 5 most disappointing live hard rock/metal albums

Photobucket
I'll list this as most disappointing rather than worst because this way I pick bands that I normally like, but they fell short on these live albums. Here they are and feel free to add your list too.

1-Iron Maiden-A real live one
Oh,dear. How could a live Maiden album go so wrong? Have most of the songs being from two not so good albums, have so-so production and some surprisingly less than stellar performances and you have the recipe for a truly underwhelming live album
2-Judas Priest-Priest...live!
So they wait until touring for the wretched Turbo album to release another live album. There are good songs on it, but plenty of just okay ones too. Why couldn't they have done a live album for either of the previous two tours instead of doing it for one of their weakest albums?
3-Guns -n- Roses-Live era 87-93
Okay, G-N-R were not always known for consistently good live shows, but if you are doing a live album where you pull songs from different shows then why would you choose some very bland performances?
4-Rush-A show of hands
Okay, it's still Rush. However it's Rush in their poppy period which just didn't do it for me. I just sighed and went back to their 70's material.
5-Alice Cooper-Alice Cooper show
The first live Alice Cooper album was recorded toward the start of a down period in his studio. So we get some limp tracks plus the selections from the 71-74 period lack punch with this line-up playing them live.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Again, I find mself agreeing with you Mark.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Yeah, Priest...Live! was a big-time letdown. I think live albums are very rarely exciting. Live videos, another matter.

8:46 PM  
Blogger DPTH International said...

I own very few live albums. it really has to speak to me, if I want to buy. Partly this is due to being burned by Death Angels "Fall From Grace". A terrible live album, but I do not hold the band responsible. From what I understand, it was out of their hands.

Still, it ruined live albums for me.

10:27 AM  
Blogger t-o-n said...

Live Era should have been so much better than it was.

Made Guns N'Roses sound just slightly more dangerous than Foreigner. Yuck.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home